This June, the City of Guelph is celebrating their sixth annual Bike Month. There will be several fun, interactive bike-focused events set up and an opportunity to participate in a month-long bike bingo contest. Whether you’re new to cycling or an expert rider, you’ll find something that moves you. Visit www.guelph.ca/bikemonth to learn more!
Bicycle Route: Approximately 23 Kilometres, not including the GORBA Trails.
Did you know bicycles and e-bikes are welcome at GO stations and onboard GO Transit vehicles? Take the GO Train or Guelph Transit to arrive in Downtown Guelph.
Lock your bike at the bike rack beside Eric the Baker and head inside the French-inspired bakery. Grab a bite to eat to-go for breakfast at Riverside Park. You won’t be disappointed with their mouthwatering croissants or sausage rolls. Heads up: It’s cash only.
Once you hit Riverside Park it’s time for a picnic-style breakfast alongside the river. While you’re here it’s time to explore the park. Discover the antique carousel or gorgeous floral clock. Hop back on your bike and take the trails to Victoria Rd and back. Don’t forget to use the washroom facilities before getting back out on your bike.
Next stop: Fixed Gear Brewing (Alma St) – First you’ll want to secure your bike using the indoor bicycle parking. Then, enjoy the ambiance inspired by the community’s avid cyclists. Quench your thirst with the wide range of refreshment options, both alcohol and non-alcoholic to choose from.
Time to visit the Guelph Civic Museum and learn about the history on the hill. The museum is home to a collection of over 30,000 artifacts that bring Guelph’s past to life. Take your time inside – there is so much to see and do!
It’s dinnertime and hopefully, you’re hungry. Royal City Brewing is an excellent dining option – Dine in the new Beer Hall where the menu has been engineered with a specific interest in furthering Beer Hall vibes; it’s entirely intended to be paired with freshly poured pints and has been painstakingly optimized for conviviality.
Like all good things come to an end, so does the tour. There might not be enough time in the day to keep exploring – but there’s always next weekend! Head back downtown and head home.
Starting Point: Guelph Central Station
- Head southwest on Carden St toward Wyndham St N. Arrive at 46 Carden St on the right-hand side.
Destination: Eric the Baker
- Head northeast on Carden St towards Wyndham St
- Turn left on Wyndham St and turn right onto Macdonell St
- Turn left on Downtown Trail/Royal Recreation Trail
- Stay on Downtown Trail/Royal Recreation Trail until Speedvale Ave
- Turn right onto Speedvale Ave E
- Turn left onto Speed River Trail
- Stay on Trail until Riverside Park
Destination: Riverside Park
- Continue south on Royal Recreation Trail to Clarence Street
- Turn right onto Clarence to follow the Spurline Trail across Gordon Street
- Stay on Spurline Trail and then turn left onto Kathleen St
- Continue south on Kirkland St
- Turn right onto Garth St
- Turn left onto Yorkshire St N
- Turn right onto Preston St
- Turn left onto Edinburgh Rd S
- Turn right onto Inkerman St and the destination will be on the right-hand side
Destination: Fixed Gear Brewing
- Head west on Inkerman St toward Alma St S
- Turn right onto Alma St S
- Turn right onto Crimea St
- Continue onto Robinson Ave
- Turn left on Yorkshire St N
- Turn right onto Paisley Rd
- Turn right onto Dublin St
- Turn left onto Cork St
Destination: Guelph Civic Museum
- Head west on Cork St W to Dublin St N
- Turn right onto Dublin St N
- Turn right onto Paisley St
- Turn right onto Norfolk St
- Continue onto Gordon St
- Turn left towards Eramosa River Trail/Royal Recreation Trail at the pedestrian signal south of Wellington Street (use the driveway entrance to the Boathouse Ice cream parlour and tea room)
- Cross the wooden bridge and follow the Eramosa River Trail/Royal Recreation Trail until Lawrence Ave
- Turn left on Lawrence Ave
- Turn right onto York Rd
- Turn left onto Victoria Rd S and the destination will be on the left
Destination: Royal City Brewing
- Head southeast on Victoria Rd S toward York Rd
- Turn left onto Lawrence Ave
- Turn right onto Eramosa River Trail/Royal Recreation Trail
- Continue on the trail and then turn left onto York Rd at the fork near the Ukrainian Church
- Cross York Road and use the bike lane to head west, then north on Wyndham Street
- Turn right on Carden St and arrive at the destination
Ending point: Guelph Central Station